Happy Monday! I have a little secret for you… you ready? Okay, here goes… we sell blinds.
I asked each and every employee what they thought might most surprise readers and customers about Blinds.com, and some of the more scintillating responses are posted below:
- 40-50% of our staff members are also artists, musicians, and designers.
- Regardless of the department a person is hired in, he/she is made to sit in the call center/sales department to listen to calls and see how we interact with our customers
- Many of our design consultants and customer services reps can work from home when they’re sick or have a family issue.
- We have a Cultural Committee that is responsible for planning office events like fundraisers, carnivals, picnics, and the yearly Blinds.com gala.
- We’ve had more Blinds.com babies in 2011 than any other year (eight!).
- Every employee gets a gift card and cake for his or her birthday.
- Our founder and CEO Jay sings in a barber shop quartet. He also sings in an acapella group.
- Our office, the Blinds.complex is equipped with a flux capacitor to help us go back in time when we make mistakes.
- Larry, our CIO, is an underwater cave diver. In fact, we have several other employees who are also underwater cave divers (of all things!).
- We offer free samples so customers can see and feel the products in their homes before buying.
- We were featured in the White House Blog and The Onion in the same week. Not sure which one gave us more satisfaction.
- Blinds.com was started in the founder’s garage for $3,000.
- We have street signs hanging from the ceiling for every previous office location.
- Every Friday, we turn off the phones for 15 minutes and have an all-hands meeting. Try calling us at (800) 505-1905 on Friday at 2 p.m. CST and listen to the message.
And let’s be friends on Facebook, shall we?