Basic Measuring Tips
- Use a steel measuring tape.
- Measure the width of your window to the nearest 1/2" of an inch.
The Blinds.com Pick & Ship™ Blinds offer beauty and durability at our fastest delivery, but your new window style all starts with accurate measurements for the closest fit.
If you’re planning a DIY window treatment project, our How to Measure Blinds.com Pick & Ship™ Blinds guide makes measuring blinds easy!
You can also call our Customer Experience Center for an immediate quote once you have your measurements.
What You Will Need
- Steel Tape Measure
- Step Ladder (if necessary)
- Blinds.com Measuring Worksheet
Helpful Hints Before You Begin Measuring for Blinds.com Pick & Ship™ Blinds:
- For the most accurate measurements, only use a steel tape measure.
- Blinds height: order the height that exceeds your window height from the options available.
- Inside Mount Blinds: Make sure you have a minimum window well depth of 2.5" for inside mount window treatments.
- Outside Mount Blinds: For outside mount blinds, please install the window treatment 2" above the window opening.
- The size you order will be the exact size you receive. PLEASE DEDUCT 1/2" FROM YOUR WIDTH to account for mounting hardware.
- Don’t mix up width and height measurements. Always follow the width by height format (W x H) and mark them as such.
- If you’re measuring for more than one window, measure each one individually – never assume that your windows are the same size, even if they may look alike.
How to Measure for Inside Mount Blinds.com Pick & Ship™ Blinds
Inside mount blinds are installed inside the window frame or casing – they provide a sleek, clean look that can showcase your window size and moldings. If you’re interested in measuring for inside mount blinds, follow these steps:
- Measure the depth of your window frame, from the front of the opening to the glass. You’ll need this measurement to ensure your window recess meets the minimum depth requirement for an inside mount. You will need a minimum of 2 ½” of depth for an inside mount.
- Measure the width of each window opening. Record the width at the top, middle, and bottom of your window opening. Circle the narrowest measurement of the three, and then subtract ½” – this is the number you submit for your window covering width.
- Measure the height of your window opening in three places: left, center, and right. Circle the tallest measurement. Select the height that exceeds the height of your window, from the options available.
- Order your blind width to the nearest 1/2", then deduct 1/2" from your measurements to account for mounting hardware. NO deductions will be taken at the factory, so be sure to round down so that the blinds fit within your most narrow measurement.
- Double-check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H).
How to Measure for Outside Mount Blinds.com Pick & Ship™ Blinds
Outside mount blinds are mounted on the window molding or wall above your window. Outside mount blinds are a good choice if an inside mount is not possible due to window depth or obstructions around the window frame. Follow these simple steps to measure your windows for outside mount blinds:
- Check the mounting requirements on your blinds to ensure you have enough flat surface for an outside mount. You will need to install the blinds 2” above the window opening.
- Determine the width of the blinds you want to order. If you have window trim, simply measure to the far edges of the trim from left to right.
- If your window has no trim, we recommend adding two inches on each side of your window to provide light gap coverage and privacy. Mark these additions on each side and measure the width between them in a straight line.
- Determine the height of the blinds you will order. If you have a protruding window sill, start at the sill and measure 3” beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for mounting hardware.
- If you do not have a protruding window sill, we recommend starting your measurement 2” below the sill for maximum coverage and then measure 3” beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for mounting hardware.
- Double-check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H). Remember, with outside mount blinds, your product will be made to the exact specified size.
Ready to Install?
Check out our guide on How to Install Blinds.com Pick & Ship™
More Measuring Guides