These basic tips will get you perfect measurements for window treatments!
Basic Measuring Tips
- Use a steel measuring tape.
- Measure to the nearest 1/8" of an inch, if the size is on a 1/16" mark, then round down to the next 1/8".
Vertical blinds are a great window treatment for large windows or patio doors.
Blinds.com knows that the perfect fit for a beautiful new window treatment all starts with an accurate measurement. If you’re planning a DIY window treatment project, our How to Measure Vertical Blinds guide makes measuring blinds easy!
You can also call our Customer Experience Center for an immediate quote once you have your measurements. Don’t forget you can always Find a Pro in your area to complete the project for you!
Get Professional Help
We have professionals waiting to help you with both measuring and installation. Click here or call us at 800.935.7028 to find a local professional.
What You Will Need
- Steel Tape Measure
- Step Ladder (if necessary)
- Blinds.com Measuring Worksheet
Helpful Hints Before You Begin Measuring for Vertical Blinds:
- For the most accurate measurements, only use a steel tape measure.
- Don’t mix up width and height measurements. Always follow the width by height format (W x H) and mark them as such.
- Measure down to the nearest 1/8 inch.
- If you’re measuring for more than one window, measure each one individually – never assume that your windows are the same size, even if they may look alike.
How to Measure for Inside & Outside Mount Vertical Blinds
How to Measure for Inside Mount Vertical Blinds
Inside mount vertical blinds are installed inside the window frame or casing – they provide a sleek, clean look which can showcase your window size and moldings. If you’re interested in measuring for inside mount vertical blinds, follow these steps:
- Measure the depth of your window frame, from the front of the opening to the glass. You’ll need this measurement to ensure your window recess meets the minimum depth requirement for an inside mount. Refer to the Mounting Requirements section for the window treatment you’ve chosen to ensure your window meets the requirement for an inside mount. If you have a door handle, make sure there is depth in front for mounting.
- Measure the width of your window opening. Record only the width measurement at the top of your window opening for vertical blinds.
- Measure the height of your window opening in three places: left, center, and right. Circle the shortest measurement - this is the number you submit for your window’s height.
- Order at the exact opening size with no deductions. The factory will take deductions in production.
- Double check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H).
How to Measure for Outside Mount Vertical Blinds
Outside mount vertical blinds are mounted on the wall above your window. We recommend outside mount vertical blinds for patio doors or sliding doors. Outside mount vertical blinds will be made at the exact size you specify. Follow these simple steps to measure your windows for outside mount vertical blinds:
- Check the mounting requirements on your vertical blinds to ensure you have enough flat surface for the mounting hardware.
- If your window has no trim, we recommend adding at least four inches on each side of your window to provide light gap coverage and privacy. Mark these additions on each side and measure the width between them in a straight line. Please note it is not ideal to mount vertical blinds to a window trim.
- Determine the height of the blinds you will order. If you have a protruding window sill, start at the sill and measure three inches beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for mounting hardware.
- If you do not have a protruding window sill, we recommend starting your measurement two inches below the sill for maximum coverage and then measure three inches beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for mounting hardware.
- Double check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H). Remember, with outside mount vertical blinds, your product will be made to the exact specified size.
Ready to Install?
Check out our guide on How to Install Vertical Blinds
More Measuring Guides