These basic tips will get you perfect measurements for window treatments!
Basic Measuring Tips
- Use a steel measuring tape.
- Measure to the nearest 1/8" of an inch, if the size is on a 1/16" mark, then round down to the next 1/8".
Wood blinds are durable and easy to use. Blinds.com knows that the perfect fit for a beautiful new window treatment all starts with an accurate measurement. If you’re planning a DIY window treatment project, our How to Measure Wood Blinds guide makes measuring blinds easy!
You can also call our Customer Experience Center for an immediate quote once you have your measurements. Don’t forget you can always Find a Pro in your area to complete the project for you!
Get Professional Help
We have professionals waiting to help you with both measuring and installation. Click here or call us at 800.935.7028 to find a local professional.
What You Will Need
- Steel Tape Measure
- Step Ladder (if necessary)
- Blinds.com Measuring Worksheet
Helpful Hints Before You Begin Measuring for Wood Blinds:
- For the most accurate measurements, only use a steel tape measure.
- Don’t mix up width and height measurements. Always follow the width by height format (W x H) and mark them as such.
- Measure down to the nearest 1/8 inch.
- If you’re measuring for more than one window, measure each one individually – never assume that your windows are the same size, even if they may look alike.
How to Measure for Inside & Outside Mount Wood Blinds
How to Measure for Inside Mount Wood Blinds
Inside mount wood blinds are installed inside the window frame or casing – they provide a sleek, clean look which can showcase your window size and moldings. If you’re interested in measuring for inside mount cellular shades, follow these steps:
- Measure the depth of your window frame, from the front of the opening to the glass. You’ll need this measurement to ensure your window recess meets the minimum depth requirement for an inside mount. Refer to the Mounting Requirements section for the cellular shade you’ve chosen to ensure your window meets the requirement for an inside mount.
- Measure the width of each window. Record the width at the top, middle, and bottom of your window opening. Circle the narrowest measurement of the three – this is the number you submit for your window’s width.
- Measure the height of your window opening in three places: left, center, and right. Circle the tallest measurement - this is the number you submit for your window’s height.
- Order at the exact opening size with no deductions. The factory will take deductions in production.
- Double check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H).
How to Measure for Outside Mount Wood Blinds
Outside mount wood blinds are mounted on the window molding or wall above your window. Outside mount blinds are a good choice if an inside mount is not possible due to window depth or obstructions around the window frame. Outside mount wood blinds will be made at the exact size you specify. Follow these simple steps to measure your windows for outside mount wood blinds:
- Check the mounting requirements on your wood blinds to ensure you have enough flat surface for the mounting hardware.
- Determine the width of the wood blinds you want to order. If you have window trim, simply measure to the far edges of the trim from left to right.
- If your window has no trim, we recommend adding two inches on each side of your window to provide light gap coverage and privacy. Mark these additions on each side and measure the width between them in a straight line.
- Determine the height of the blinds you will order. If you have a protruding window sill, start at the sill and measure three inches beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for mounting hardware.
- If you do not have a protruding window sill, we recommend starting your measurement two inches below the sill for maximum coverage and then measure three inches beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for mounting hardware.
- Double check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H). Remember, with outside mount wood blinds, your product will be made to the exact specified size.
Ready to Install?
Check out our guide on How to Install Wood Blinds
More Measuring Guides