Blinds.com makes it easy to install new custom draperies. Follow our How to Install Draperies guide for step-by-step instructions.
Tools You Will Need
- Steel Measuring Tape
- Level tool
- Step ladder (if necessary)
- Screwdriver or power drill (with ¼” hex driver and drill bit)
Helpful Hints Before You Begin Installing Draperies:
- Carefully unpack your draperies and all mounting hardware.
- Familiarize yourself with the contents of the box and ensure all installation hardware is included.
- The packaging and shipping of soft treatments frequently results in minor wrinkling of the fabrics used. Refer to your individual product information for details on how to remedy minor wrinkles upon delivery. Always allow your draperies to hang for a few days so wrinkles relax and begin to fall out. You can also steam your drapes if the wrinkles do not fall out on their own.
- Check out our blog post for mistakes to avoid when installing drapes.
How to Install Draperies
Follow these simple steps to install your draperies:
- Determine where your draperies will hang by aligning a steel measuring tape vertically in the center of your window. Lower the tape down to a point where you would like the bottom of your drapery fabric to rest.
- Extend the measuring tape above the center of your window to the full length of your panel and mark lightly with a pencil.
- From the pencil mark, measure out to each side a distance equal to half of your rod length. Subtract six inches for brackets and place a small mark at the top of your tape.
- If you’re installing with wood hardware, loosen the screws on the back of your wood brackets and remove the bracket holders. Align the bottom of the center opening in the bracket holder over the line of your pencil mark and make two guide marks through the top and bottom openings.
- If you’re installing with metal hardware, align the top of your bracket opening over your pencil mark and make two guide marks.
- Plastic wall anchors may be necessary to install your mounting hardware – read your individual product instructions for more information.
- For wood brackets, attach the bracket holders to both sides of the window with the included hardware. To mount the brackets to the wall, reattach them to the mounting hardware by sliding the screws in the brackets into the slots.
- Metal brackets come in two sections: an L-shaped piece that is used to mount the bracket to the wall, and a second section that holds the drapery rod. Secure the short end of the L-shaped bracket to the wall with two screws.
- Place the metal bubble of the rod holder into the groove on top of the L-shaped bracket. Slide the rod holder backward or forward along the groove to position the rod at the desired distance from the wall. Tighten the sections together with the adjustment screw.
- Refer to your individual product for instructions on assembling your draperies. You may need to unscrew a finial and slide your draperies over a rod, or sliding rings over the rod equal to the number of hooks on your draperies. Replace the finials when the draperies are in place on the rod.
- Carefully place your rod onto the brackets and arrange your draperies in the desired position.